Thursday, August 6, 2015

Facebook: Personal or Professional

A big topic these past few weeks have been if Facebook is appropriate in the professional world. People tend to have different opinions, as most topics go, however, I believe Facebook is best suited for personal use only. While many of my friends use Facebook for their professional life and even post about work related items, I think there needs to be a separation between your personal life and your professional life. Similar to a cliche people say, "leave your issues at the door", when you get to work.

Do you use your Facebook for personal use and professional use? and why?

2 comments:

  1. My Facebook is both. And that is mostly because my professional and personal lives are so intertwined. Most of my closest friends, and my husband, work in student affairs like I do. There is really no way to separate the two worlds online, because they are combined in real life. I try to be mindful about what I post, sharing a little personal information to connect with people and give those updates we all love so much through social media, but keep it professional. No work rants or complaining. Being mindful of how what I post could affect me professionally, because my colleagues are seeing it. Friends or not, things get back to campus from Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise great points Allison and seem to manage your Facebook in a way that works best for you. Everyone should be mindful of what they post as we do leave a digital footprint everywhere we go.

    ReplyDelete