Sunday, August 2, 2015

Are your passwords safe?

After reading Dr, Dennen's post about leaving footprints everywhere we go, it really got my thinking how else we can be comprised on the web.

Identity theft is a growing topic as is credit card fraud. In 2015, a plethora of companies were hacked, comprising millions of people's personal information including credit card and banking information. These data breaches are happening more often and affecting you even when you may not think so.

I found this slideshare about passwords to be extremely interesting since it relates to the topic and it reflects mistakes individuals, including myself, continue to make.




I am guilty of these bad password habits. I reuse my same password for everything I create simply because I know I will remember it. However, that makes me more susceptible to identity theft and fraud.


Resources:
http://time.com/money/3528487/data-breach-identity-theft-jp-morgan-kmart-staples/

http://www.slideshare.net/bhaveshpatelseo/the-state-of-passowrd-habits-infographic?related=1

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely the same way about passwords. I tend to use the same easy passwords over and over again, but I don't have time to deal with memorizing a bunch of different passwords

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!!!! Exactly the same password every time.
    Thank you for sharing this. Since I use Mac, I think I will use Safari's password suggestion more often and keep it on the keychain to keep me remembering all different usernames and passwords (hopefully, it's safe enough).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently I got two email to notify me that websites I have made purchase on were hacked and my personal information might be looked by others. And thus I do not trust websites, but at the same time I do not know how to protect my information.

    ReplyDelete